GillsConnect News Desk

Dateline: SUNDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2018



Gills: Tomas Holy, Luke O'Neill, Max Ehmer, Gabriel Zakuani, Bradley Garmston (Connor Ogilvie 74), Jake Hessenthaler, Mark Byrne, Callum Reilly (Conor Wilkinson 77), Elliott List (Scott Wagstaff 68), Tom Eaves and Josh Parker.

Unused subs: Ben Nugent, Liam Nash, Tom Hadler and Franck Moussa.


Peterborough United 1

Danny Lloyd (67)

Yellow Cards:

Anthony Grant (14)

Ball Possession: 50%

MoM: Anthony Grant

Attendance 7,514 (476 Peterborough fans)

Gillingham 1

Max Ehmer (90+3)

Yellow Cards:

Mark Byrne (46)

Bradley Garmston (65)

Conor Wilkinson (85)

Ball Possession: 50%

MoM: Max Ehmer

Boss of the Month for January - Steve Lovell, was welcomed to the Medway Stand dug-out with warm applause when following out his team that had one change with winger Elliott List taking the place of captain Lee Martin who the crowd presumed was injured. The game started in dreadful conditions of rain, wind and eventually cold sleet that made it very difficult for both sets of players although the match itself was competitive and fast moving.

The worrying trend of Gills starting slowly continued with Peterborough showing more urgency in the first ten minutes although Tom Eaves was achieving some joy in competing for headers that were aimed his way. So much so that Peterborough got an early booking from referee Andy Davies for fouling the big Gills striker. When Gills did finally start to test Peterborough, Elliott List was showing his pace and causing their defence problems but his crosses were mostly wasted by Gills attackers.

A decent game played in difficult conditions throughout but both teams gave it their best effort. Possibly Peterborough were marginally the better side but Gills had the biggest heart and deserved their equalizer in time added on.

The Rainham End celebration scenes of Max Ehmer after his controlled equalizer was worth the entrance fee alone. The point kept Gills on the up in League One and the momentum is still with Steve Lovell and the Gills players.


The swirling wind and rain affected many attacking moves all afternoon – a Luke O’Neil free-kick on eight minutes was carried by the wind but Posh goalie Bond just caught the ball under the crossbar.

At the other end Tomas Holy had to be alert to catch a Doughty wind effort fired in from the edge of the area.

League One’s top scorer Jack Marriott (right) was looking lively but watched closely by either Gabriel Zakuani or Max Ehmer who restricted him to a few half-chances throughout.

Wind assisted Peterborough United forced three corners in succession at the Rainham End that had the Gills defence in all sorts of disarray but they coped well with the pressure and cleared the danger.

With 15 minutes gone Josh Parker cleverly played in Elliott List but his effort was saved by Bond. In midfield Jake Hessenthaler gets Luke O’Neil away who in turn set up Tom Eaves but his effort was blocked before reaching goalkeeper Bond.

On 23 minutes Callum Reilly had a decent effort at the Town End goal blocked and Peterborough managed a quick three or four pass break-a-way toward the Gills goal. The best move of the match by Peterborough ended with Danny Lloyd finding the back of the net but the offside flag stopped the Peterborough supporters from celebrating.

Just before the half-hour Bradley Garmston worked himself into a good position only to blast a cross cum shot into row Z of the terracing when under pressure from Posh defenders. When Gills midfield managed to get the ball to Elliott List the speedy winger made it look easy getting past defenders but his crosses were not always anticipated by his fellow Gills attackers.

The match was pretty even as the half-time break loomed with Peterborough slightly the better team at coping with the wind and rain and looking more dangerous on the break. One move, and space created by Bogie, managed to get the ball to top hit-man Marriott who shot hard and low only for Gabriel Zakuani to block just five yards out from goal.

Right on the break Josh Parker brought down Grant on the edge of the Gills area but the free-kick came to nothing although seconds later Marriott got a shot on target and thankfully Tomas Holy dived and saved with his right boot. Half-Time: Gills 0 v Peterborough United 0

The second started much the same as the first and Peterborough were on the attack quickly from the re-start. Danny Lloyd created space out on the right flank and sent over a great cross across the face of  the Gills goal. No Peterborough player was anywhere near the ball that needed just a touch to send it past Tomas Holy as it raced out for a goal kick.

Ten minutes into the second period and a volley from Jack Marriott had to be headed over by Max Ehmer and the Posh corner was cleared at the second attempt. This was a period of Peterborough pressure as another cross was partly cleared by Ehmer but reached Marriott but he snatched at the chance and put the ball over Tomas Holy’s goal.

Gills were taking time to settle as the rain turned to sleet but Jake Hessenthaler put Bradley Garmston through who turned the ball back from the left hand touch-line for Josh Parker (above top left). His header went just over the Rainham End bar for the closest Gills had come to opening the scoring.

Bradley Garmston forced a corner when his shot was deflected and from the boot of Luke O’Neil his corner was caught on the wind and fell onto the top of the net with a worried goalie Bond looking on.

Then, slightly against the run of play, Peterborough took the lead following a throw-in that was not cleared by the Gills defence and an alert Danny Lloyd (above bottom left) was first to the ball. From around eight yards out Lloyd struck the ball past Tomas Holy with a right-foot hook shot and then turned and ran to the Peterborough fans in the far end of the Gordon Road Stand to celebrate.

Five minutes later and Gills players, and Rainham End supporters, thought the equalizer was in the net from Josh Parker. The ‘goal’ was controversially denied as Peterborough goalkeeper Bond was ruled to have stopped Josh Parker's low shot from almost point-blank range from crossing over the line. The crowd were stunned as play was waved on and if not for the late deserved equalizer by Max Ehmer this would have been debated long into the night.

From that moment it was all Gills as they fought tooth and nail to score and the pressure was on Peterborough who could do little else then keep defending plus the odd little time wasting to delay what always looked like the inevitable.

Both managers made changes to their line-ups and still Gills kept going forward Jake Hessenthaler, Wagstaff, O’Neill and Ehmer all had efforts that were either blocked or saved. On 90 minutes Max Ehmer had an effort that struck a Posh defender’s hand but the penalty shouts were waved away.

The equalizer finally arrived when a long clearance from Tomas Holy was flicked on and there was Max Ehmer (left) checking the ball on his chest, running clear down the centre toward the Rainham End before stroking a firm shot past an advancing Bond. The goal was well deserved and the Gills centre-half celebrated with the Rainham End faithfull in the far corner of the Stand.

A never-say-die- effort and well deserved point making it four out of six points in the two games. against Play-off chasing Peterborough.